CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 17, 2008

What do you think?

Might I make a comment that could be a bit controversial? If a movie is based on a book & the movie comes out & is Rated R, wouldn't the book be considered Rated R too? It is surprising what we often allow ourselves to read, but won't let ourselves watch. Books have never come with ratings, but if they did, do you think they would match what their movies are rated?

This goes for the news as well. I have gotten so upset with some of the images I have seen on there while looking at the news online & then one of my kids walks in & stares at the screen with the same horror I am which is why I'm having such a hard time clicking fast enough to change the screen!

Just because someone puts a rating on something doesn't mean we aren't exposed to worse in our daily lives & sometimes even by choice. So, my question is, if you're going to stop yourself from taking part in those things that are rated past a point you consider allowable, should you rate everything you do, see, hear or read??

3 comments:

Chandi said...

I have had this same debate with myself many times. There are some books that I feel are absolutely that way. Not all. For example, Angelas Ashes, or the Scarlet Letter. Both classic, very good books. The movies come out and they are both given an "R" rating. That's because Hollywood chose to add words or scenes that aren't in the book. Also, we can choose not to read a book or watch a movie, or listen to a song. What we hear around as we are walking around town we don't have control over. We can control our own minds.

Anonymous said...

I don't feel this same way about R rated movies based on books, because sometimes movies are rated R just because they added nudity or swearing which weren't written into the books. I wish that it were possible for books to be rated, but I think it's impossible, based on sheer quantity.

I understand how you feel about basic television...I was watching tv with my grandma over Christmas, and there was this commercial about how women can achieve better orgasms...talk about embarrassing! Why are commercials like that permitted???

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.