Mavaney submitted an essay a couple of months ago to a contest for American Girl. The essay was about how she was like an American Girl. She worked very hard on it & drafted quite a few different ideas, but it was all her own work. She handwrote it & then I typed it out for her & we sent both in, just in case. They named finalists & winners in each category & Mavaney won in her age group. She will be featured in Today's Woman magazine from Louisville who sponsored the contest. She won an American Girl giftbag & two tickets to the 2009 Preview of American Girl Fashions at Churchill Downs in October of this year. It is a full out tea party & fashion show & the tickets are worth $100.00. Quite a nice prize for an 8 year old. She said she could not stop smiling, she was so excited!!
I included a few more photos from the event, they had crafts for the kids to do, as well as huge cupcakes to enjoy & Miss University of Louisville who gave a speech to the girls about role models. She has a Master's in Nursing. Isn't she beautiful!!!!!! The girls were very excited about getting her autograph.
Here is the winning entry:
I am like an American Girl because I am brave, smart and proud. Like in Molly’s story, Linda said, “If you can do something you’re scared to do, then you’re brave.” I am like Molly because she is confident in herself and so am I because I know who I am and what I like. When I took swimming lessons, my teacher offered to let me jump off the diving board. I was scared to jump off because I saw that the water was 12 feet deep! But, I knew that there was always someone there to help me, so I jumped off the diving board and followed my teacher’s instructions and I was fine. I felt very proud of myself because when I am brave and do something I have never done before, I feel proud.
I am like Kit because I too have struggled when my dad left for war twice. My mom had my little sister five days after he left the first time. She needed a lot of my help and I had to be strong for her. Like in Kit’s story, her dad lost his job and she had to help more and be there for her family.
I am like Samantha because she tries her best. I try my best too, because I want my work to look good and to get better at it. I have two sisters and two brothers and I always try to be a good example for them. So when they grow up they can be brave, helpful, dependable and proud of who they are.
By: Mavaney Keel
Age 8
June 2008


7 comments:
Way to go Mav! What a wonderful essay. That is awesome that you won, you so deserved it! Good job!
How wonderful! I really enjoyed the essay. Mavaney, I am sure you make your parents so proud. I am happy to hear you are such a confident, ambitious girl...you will go far!
WOW!!!!!!! That is AMAZAING!!!! WTG MAV!!!
Congratulations! Great job!!
WooHoo Maveney! We are very excited for her. Looks like she's following in her Mamma's foot steps... I can remember your poems being in a big book or something... It looks like she was pretty excited.
Wow, that was great! She's a talented writer!
How awesome! Way to go and congrats
Post a Comment